Saturday, July 15, 2017

Day 4 -- July 12, 2017


Drive from Deschutes National Forest to Umatilla Reservation
Pendleton, OR

Driving days are quite interesting in their own ways. Between the students being upset at having to change vans and be split from their friends, the inevitable splitting of the caravan, and the hours spent on the road, it’s no wonder I find travel days more exhausting than others.

Clinton's Co-pilot. Judy rode shotgun with Mr. Clinton this trip,
and though she was a little upset not to get to ride with Trease
(because I'm awesome...and her two besties were were with me)
I think she had fun with him and the others in his van.
I am finding that there are so many things I take for granted knowing that my students are unaware of. For example, while in the van, Jayenell and Joel were trying to think of card games they could play to pass the time, and I recommended Go Fish. Neither of them knew how to play. I proceeded to explain how to play from the driver’s seat, something that was a bit more difficult than expected (but at least it wasn’t something like Gin Rummy or Spades). They had so much fun playing, and it was just one more of those ‘ah-ha’ moments that sneak up on me.

Load it up. Loading up camp is always an adventure, and not
to be done before a well balanced breakfast...of cereal. 
My life experiences have been so different than theirs, which is neither good or bad. I learned how to play Go Fish pretty much as soon as I learned my numbers and letters, so to have 16-17 year olds never playing something so integral to my card playing family made me stop and think a bit. I loved being able to share that part of me with them, and before the end of the trip, I hope to share a few more parts and will hopefully be gifted with a few lessons from them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 14 -- July 22, 2017

Travel Home: Couer D’Alene Reservation, ID to Toppenish, WA Things to remember when preparing for next year’s trip: You will get co...